Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is very easy and delicious. Use Cortland, Rome, Golden Delicious or McIntosh Apples. By Mark Bittman.
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups flour, plus
- extra flour, for pan
- 1 cup butter, softened, plus
- more butter, for the pan
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- more sugar, for the top of the cake
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Using an electic mixer, cream sugar and butter together.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- By hand, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in apples.
- Grease and flour a 9 or 10 inch springform pan or tube pan and pour in the batter.
- Sprinkle liberally with sugar.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Serve with ice cream or other topping.
This recipe is amazing. It is so yummy especially when it is still warm.
This gets a BIG 5 stars! Love, love, loved it!! Easy and fabulous tasting. I used Honeycrisp apples, which were the perfect choice in flavor and texture. Don't overcook, I cooked exactly 45 minutes, had just the tiniest bit of batter stick to my toothpick, but pulled it out of the oven anyway. It was super moist and has this great "crust" on the top. Do not expect the cake batter to be "flat" when you put it in the pan, but it will even out in the baking. This one is a keeper! Thanks susie!!