Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Very tasty--from old Reader's Digest magazine. My family likes this.
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 cups chopped tart apples
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 2 cups cold water and cook in saucepan until bubbly over medium heat.
- Cook 2 minutes more after bubbly.
- Remove from heat; add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- Pour into greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in shortening; stir in chopped apple.
- Stir in milk and remaining vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls over syrup in baking dish.
- Combine the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over dough mixture.
- Dot with remaining butter or margarine.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream, if desired.