Recipe by COOKGIRl
I got the inspiration for this recipe from Rita L. (and stole the idea from ronabarrett.com. except my version is much, much less expensive.) Use fresh or dried lavender.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs apples, cored, seeded (your choice to peel)
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried lavender, crushed to release flavor (read *NOTE)
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, sliced down the side to release flavor
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup lemon juice or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons honey (or 1/4 cup raw sugar)
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: Begin by using 1 tablespoon lavender then add more if needed once applesauce is cooked. Another option is to use 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh lavender flowers.
- STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS: Cut apples into 2" chunks. Combine all ingredients in a pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer until apples are softened, about 40 minutes. Remove vanilla bean pod.
- CROCK POT DIRECTIONS: Cut apples into 2" chunks. Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cover pot, and cook apple mixture on LOW for 3-4 hours or until apples are soft enough to puree. Remove vanilla bean pod.
- Using potato masher or immersion blender puree mixture to desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve warm or chilled.
- Freezes well.