Recipe by COOKGIRl
A new twist on the curious apple pie with cheddar cheese dessert combination but this time for breakfast! I was expecting not to like this. Source: thekitchn.
Top Review by Debbie R.
What a delicious way to get my apple servings! This is a keeper. I microwaved the applesauce for 1 minute to avoid the whole scorching issue. The cheese looks like it isn't melted, but it was right on the cusp and just perfect. To toast the almonds, I put them in a dry skillet on med-high rangetop, stirring once in a while to make sure they didn't scorch. As soon as the crumbly bits got brown and a few slices golden, I took it off the heat. I left it in the pan for a few minutes, and many more of the slices turned golden. It only took a few minutes.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups prepared applesauce (homemade is best!)
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully warm applesauce in a sauce pan (applesauce can scorch easily due to its sugar content.) Figure approximately 1 cup applesauce per person.
- Meanwhile, slice the cheddar cheese into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Ladle the warm applesauce into bowls and immediately scatter the cheddar cubes and almonds on top. The cheese will begin to melt from the heat of the warmed applesauce.
- Also good as a topping on a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.