Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Full of flavour and delicious, keeps well. from Cooking Smart by Anne Lindsay
Make and share this Applesauce Whole Wheat Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar (I use splenda)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons natural bran
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan or tube pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter, beat until mixed.
- Add egg and beat until light in colour.
- Add yogurt and beat until mixed.
- Beat in applesauce, orange rind and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flours, bran, cinnamon, baking soda and raisins, stir to mix Pour dry ingredients over applesauce mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in 325 degrees oven for 70 or 80 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool on rack for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling.
This is really WONDERFUL and HEALTHY cake! I used Splenda baking blend and the zest from 1 orange. This tasted similar to a bran muffin but with a nice orange essence. It was sweet and soft and satisfying. No changes are needed but I'd love to try this with chopped apples. Thanks for this KEEPER recipe!