Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are really moist on the inside with a slightly crunchy top. Great with a cup of herbal tea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- egg substitute, equal to one egg (Ener-G is good)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk or 1⁄2 cup rice milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In medium bowl, beat egg replacer with brown sugar, oil, applesauce and soy milk.
- Mix with dry ingredients just until evenly moistened.
- Spoon into muffin tins.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
I "slimmed" this down even more using only wheat flour, applesauce and egg whites. They were great - especially as a quick breakfast. Healthier than box cereal, very tasty and filling.
Good recipe. Used what I had which was: whole wheat flour, a real egg, unsweetened vanilla almond milk and extra virgin coconut oil. I usually don't measure spices exactly because I don't mind an extra spicy kick of flavor. I also added a tsp of vanilla extract to the mix. I let the mixture sit for about 2 minutes to let it "rise" a bit. They turned out wonderful. Thanks for the recipe, will make again!
These are very good and I like how healthy they are. I used whole wheat flour and 1 real egg and non-fat milk. I also cut the brown sugar down to about 1/3 cup. I didn't bother with the sugar/cin on top but I'm sure it would be good. My only complaint is that 425 seems way to high. My muffins were dark on top and bottom. Still good , but next time I'd do maybe 375. Maybe this is because I made mini-muffins?