Prep 9 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
We don't care for traditional fruitcake so I used what we do like and came up with this. So good with a light spread of unsalted butter or light cream cheese with coffee. Friends who dislike fruitcake flock to these loaves like starving wolves. The loaves go fast. Prep times includes overnight chilling.
Fruit and Nut Medley
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed dried tropical fruit and nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
Shortening and Sugar Mixture
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup criso shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce, mixed with
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon grated cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Lightly oil two loaf pans.
- Combine the Fruit & Nut Medley and flour in a large freezer baggie, seal and shake it well to mix, shake off excess flour and set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer cream the Shortening & Sugar Mixture. Beat the Applesauce Mixture in next. In increments, add the Flour Mixture, stirring well after each addition. Add the Fruit & Nut Medley, mix well.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pans. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate overnight.
- Remove pans from refrigerater - let sit out about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Bake for approx 2 1/2 hours, test for doneness with a toothpick. Cool on wire racks, remove from pans when cool.
- Serve or wrap well and let sit for 1 more day to age.