What a great way to use fresh apples! The smell while the muffins are baking is heavenly! You can replace the applesauce by apple butter.
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Grape-nuts cereal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with Pam.
- Make topping: in a bowl, stir together brown sugar, cereal, flour, cinnamon, oil and water just until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make muffins: in a large bowl and using a whisk or electric beaters, combine sugar, brown sugar, milk, applesauce, oil and egg.
- In another bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture into the applesauce mixture just until everything is combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together apples and 2 tsp flour; stir the mixture into the batter. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the topping evenly over top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out dry.