Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The aroma is simply sinful that will fill your house while this is baking. And the taste, oh yum. Dont let the long list of ingredients throw you off, it's very easy to put together and well worth it! Enjoy!
- 1 2⁄3 cups cake flour (or 1 1/2 cups all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup cake flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash fresh nutmeg (1/8 tsp)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch round springform pan or an 8 inch square metal pan with flour-added cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, soda, cinnamon, allspice and brown sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, applesauce, sour cream, vanilla and egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and stir until mixed. Pour into pan.
- Make streusel. In a mixing bowl or food processor, mix together all dry ingredients then cut in butter.
- Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Sprinkle nuts over top of streusel.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown around edges.
- Cool slightly. Remove sides of pan and cut into triangles.
I'm a long time Zaar follower/lurker and have made many recipes over the years. Finally today I subscribed. Today I made this streusel cake with great results. It has a crispy top with tender crumb and was an instant hit with my family. My husband had three servings before the cake even cooled...that speaks volumes from a man that does NOT have a sweet tooth.
What a nice way to use up some applesauce! Very easy to prepare and most everyone has all ingredients on hand. The streusel top is tasty and adds crunch to a moist, delicious cake. Thanks, Sassy, for an old-fashioned style dessert.
Wonderful cake that is easy to make! Very flavorful and moist! I made this for my Grandmother and chose to use walnuts instead of the pecans. She and my mother both loved it and so did my husband. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!