Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This wonderful cake is from Canadian Living magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- For the cake, grease a 9" x 13" cake pan; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the brown sugar until fluffy; beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
- Stir into the butter mixture alternately with the applesauce and buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of wet.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake in the centre of a 350 degree F oven until the cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- For the icing, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil just until blended, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the milk and vanilla into the butter mixture.
- Again using a wooden spoon, beat in the icing sugar until smooth and spreadable; let cool for 1 minute.
- Spread over the top of the cake just to the edge, letting the icing drizzle over slightly.
Made this for my family recently, and it was a huge hit! I made a few changes: used half the sugar (no one missed it), used half whole wheat flour (nobody noticed), added 1/2 t cloves with the other spices. Instead of icing, I just sprinkled cinnamon sugar across the top before baking. Moist, flavorful, and not too sweet.
I gave this 4 stars. This cake and icing was so good. My family really enjoyed this cake. We think the spice flavor was a perfect blend. I followed the recipe just as described. I will make this again for sure. Thanks so much for posting a great recipe! Christine (internetnut)