Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This wonderful cake is from Canadian Living magazine.
Make and share this Applesauce Spice Cake With Brown Sugar Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- For the cake, grease a 9" x 13" cake pan; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the brown sugar until fluffy; beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
- Stir into the butter mixture alternately with the applesauce and buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of wet.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake in the centre of a 350 degree F oven until the cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- For the icing, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil just until blended, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the milk and vanilla into the butter mixture.
- Again using a wooden spoon, beat in the icing sugar until smooth and spreadable; let cool for 1 minute.
- Spread over the top of the cake just to the edge, letting the icing drizzle over slightly.
Made this for my family recently, and it was a huge hit! I made a few changes: used half the sugar (no one missed it), used half whole wheat flour (nobody noticed), added 1/2 t cloves with the other spices. Instead of icing, I just sprinkled cinnamon sugar across the top before baking. Moist, flavorful, and not too sweet.
I gave this 4 stars. This cake and icing was so good. My family really enjoyed this cake. We think the spice flavor was a perfect blend. I followed the recipe just as described. I will make this again for sure. Thanks so much for posting a great recipe! Christine (internetnut)