This wonderful cake is from Canadian Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1For the cake, grease a 9" x 13" cake pan; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- 2Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, beat the butter with the brown sugar until fluffy; beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- 4Beat in the vanilla.
- 5In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
- 6Stir into the butter mixture alternately with the applesauce and buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of wet.
- 7Spread in the prepared pan.
- 8Bake in the centre of a 350 degree F oven until the cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- 9Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- 10For the icing, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 11Add the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 12Boil just until blended, about 1 minute.
- 13Remove from the heat.
- 14Using a wooden spoon, stir the milk and vanilla into the butter mixture.
- 15Again using a wooden spoon, beat in the icing sugar until smooth and spreadable; let cool for 1 minute.
- 16Spread over the top of the cake just to the edge, letting the icing drizzle over slightly.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Applesauce Spice Cake With Brown Sugar Icing
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.8
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 525.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 57.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g