Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
In my misspent youth this was my favorite munchie food. It was quick, easy and the smell coming from the oven would drive us crazy. It stands alone without frosting but it is killer with Seven minute Vanilla frosting. (see my recipes)
- 1 cup applesauce, sweetened or not (homemade is best)
- 7⁄8 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (Black Walnuts are my favorite)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the Applesauce, Brown Sugar, and Oil.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the Raisins and Nuts to the flour mixture.
- Add the Applesauce mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan that has been buttered and floured.
- Bake for 40 min.
- Remove from oven.
- Invert over a cooling rack for 30 min.
- Carefully remove with spatula.
- Ice, if you dare.
I'm away from home and my cookbooks, and looking for the applesauce cake recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook. This is the one! (Except Fanny Farmer calls for regular raisins.) And it IS a great recipe - moist and flavorful and easy. I grew up with it, and make it for my kids now - except with half whole wheat flour sometimes. Thanks for posting.
This cake is very tasty, really moist, and best of all is so quick and easy to make with simple ingredients - all from the pantry. No eggs, milk, etc. I didn't add the nuts due to consideration for the other members of my family, but next time I'll add them. I did ice it, but it really didn't need the icing. The only other thing I changed was to put it in an 8 X 8 pan and cook for 30 minutes, and I'm glad I did. Even with about half the recommended pan size, the cake is only about an inch high. I think the 9 X 13 pan baking for 40 minutes would have totally overcooked it. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe pierre.