Recipe by Pierre Dance
In my misspent youth this was my favorite munchie food. It was quick, easy and the smell coming from the oven would drive us crazy. It stands alone without frosting but it is killer with Seven minute Vanilla frosting. (see my recipes)
Top Review by Mymble
I'm away from home and my cookbooks, and looking for the applesauce cake recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook. This is the one! (Except Fanny Farmer calls for regular raisins.) And it IS a great recipe - moist and flavorful and easy. I grew up with it, and make it for my kids now - except with half whole wheat flour sometimes. Thanks for posting.
- 1 cup applesauce, sweetened or not (homemade is best)
- 7⁄8 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (Black Walnuts are my favorite)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the Applesauce, Brown Sugar, and Oil.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the Raisins and Nuts to the flour mixture.
- Add the Applesauce mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan that has been buttered and floured.
- Bake for 40 min.
- Remove from oven.
- Invert over a cooling rack for 30 min.
- Carefully remove with spatula.
- Ice, if you dare.