Recipe by KK
This recipe came from a box of Duncan Hines cake mix, but I've added some vanilla and extra spices to make it memorable! Being from Duncan Hines means to use a cake mix without pudding. Also, I like to start with a smooth, bland commercial applesauce and sweeten it with brown sugar, then jazz it up with some extra cinnamon and cardamom - whatever spices suit your fancy - so the applesauce tastes really good to start with. A smooth applesauce allows the cake to remain light. If you don't have cardamom, try some five-spice powder. For frosting, use a cream cheese frosting by itself or sprinkled with chopped nuts. For a diffferent flavor, add some dulce de leche (caramel sauce) to your cream cheese frosting along with a little maple flavoring. This is one of my favorite cakes!
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 cake pan or two 9-inch cake pans.
- Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix on low speed for 1 minute.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Mix for 2 minutes on high speed and pour into pan(s).
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes for a 13 x 9 pan, 30 minutes for 9-inch pans.
- Frost as desired.