Very good cake that the whole family enjoys. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (February 1985)
Make and share this Applesauce Spice Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco) or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Combine all cake ingredients excep for walnuts and raisins (flour - nutmeg) in a large bowl of an electric mixer and beat well. Stir in walnuts (if using) and raisins. Pour into pans, spreading evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cakes test done with a toothpick and are golden brown. Cool cakes on a cake rack. When completely cool spread frosting (recipe below) between layers and on top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle cake with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cakes test done with a toothpick and are golden brown.
- Cool cakes on a cake rack. When completely cool spread frosting (recipe below) between layers and on top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle cake with chopped walnuts.
- To make frosting using an electric mixer beat butter in a small bowl until light (3 minutes) and then add remaining frosting ingredients, beating until smooth (3 minutes).
Ok, I haven't made a layer cake in a hundred years...but thought this would be a good day to try this recipe. Man oh man!!! What a fantastic cake! And it came out BEAUTIFUL! I was so pleased. Simple to put together, I did double the spices, I'm a spicy girl, yea right..LOL and it was perfect. Iced with cream cheese frosting. This will be a favorite around here. Thanks for sharing with us.
What a great recipe! I used the frosting as suggested by sweet chef and I couldn't wait until it was cool so I drizzled the frosting on anyway and ate it warm! Just yummy..
made this for someone's birthday. used the frosting except ran out of butter so partially used butter flavor crisco, which tasted great.