Very good cake that the whole family enjoys. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (February 1985)
Make and share this Applesauce Spice Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco) or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Combine all cake ingredients excep for walnuts and raisins (flour - nutmeg) in a large bowl of an electric mixer and beat well. Stir in walnuts (if using) and raisins. Pour into pans, spreading evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cakes test done with a toothpick and are golden brown. Cool cakes on a cake rack. When completely cool spread frosting (recipe below) between layers and on top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle cake with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cakes test done with a toothpick and are golden brown.
- Cool cakes on a cake rack. When completely cool spread frosting (recipe below) between layers and on top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle cake with chopped walnuts.
- To make frosting using an electric mixer beat butter in a small bowl until light (3 minutes) and then add remaining frosting ingredients, beating until smooth (3 minutes).