1/2 Photos of Applesauce Snack Cake
This is the best applesauce cake I've ever had, much less made! Triple Apple Action flavour and it is sooo easy to make. It is very very moist and does not dry out the next day (if it lasts that long). Variation ideas follow the main recipe and other add-ins can be folded into batter, such as nuts or raisins, although this cake is at it's best when it's at its simplest. Think Less Is More. From Cook's Illustrated September/October 2006, This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 13"x9" pan. If doubling the recipe, give the cider and dried apple mixture about 20 minutes to reduce and bake the cake for 45 minutes. This cake is very moist, it's best to err on the side of 'overdone' when testing its doneness. Apple juice can be substituted for apple cider, but cider is the best option. Cooled leftovers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to two days. Freezes very well. Makes one 8" square cake
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup dried apple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 325°F
- 2Cut 16" length parchment paper or aluminum foil and fold lengthwise to 7" width; spray 8" square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and fit parchment into dish, pushing it into corners and up sides, allow excess to overhang edges of dish.
- 3Bring apples and cider to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat; cook until liquid evaporates and mixture appears dry, about 15 minutes, cool to room temperature.
- 4Whisk flour and baking soda in medium bowl to combine; set aside.
- 5In second medium bowl, whisk sugar and spices; measure 2 TBSP of sugar-spice mixture into small bowl and set aside for topping.
- 6In food processor, process cooled dried-apple mixture and applesauce until smooth, about 20-30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl as needed; set aside.
- 7Whisk egg and salt in large bowl to combine.
- 8Add sugar-spice mixture and whisk continuously until well combined and light coloured, about 20 seconds.
- 9Add butter in 3 additions, whisking thoroughly after each.
- 10Add applesauce mixture and vanilla, whisk to combine.
- 11Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; using rubber spatula, fold gently until just combined and evenly moistened.
- 12Turn batter into prepared pan, smoothing out top with rubber spatula.
- 13Sprinkle reserved 2 TBSP sugar-spice mixture evenly over top of batter.
- 14Bake until wooden skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 15Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- 16Run knife along cake edges without parchment to release; remove cake from pan by lifting parchment overhang and transfer to cutting board.
- 17Cut cake and serve.
- 19Ginger-Cardamom Applesauce Snack Cake.
- 20Follow recipe for Applesauce Snack Cake omitting cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; whisk 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp ground cardamom into sugar in Step 3; measure 2 TBSP sugar-spice mixture into a small bowl, add 1 TBSP finely chopped cyrstallized ginger and set aside for topping in Step 5.
- 21Applesauce Snack Cake with Oat-Nut Streusel.
- 22Follow recipe for Applesauce Snack Cake through Step 2; in Step 3, measure 2 TBSP brown sugar, 1/3 c chopped pecans or walnuts, and 1/3 c old-fashioned or quick cook oats; work in 2 TBSP softened unsalted butter by rubbing mixture between fingers until fully incorporated; pinch mixture into hazelnut-sized clumps and sprinkle evenly over batter before baking.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Applesauce Snack Cake
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.8
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 289.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 21.6 g
- Protein 3.0 g