Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I have used homemade applesauce or store-bought. My kids love these for breakfast. From TOH-Quick Cooking.
Top Review by Cookbook junkie 2001
Really good and super quick to make. This is definitely a great addition to our recipe collection. We made it with multigrain bread and unsweetened applesauce. With the cinnamon sugar, it was a perfect combination. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 8 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Evenly spread the applesauce on four slices of bread.
- Top with remaining bread to make 4 sandwiches.
- Spread butter on the outsides of the sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches (I usually do 2 at a time because of my skillet size) in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over hot sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: I quarter each sandwich for my kids; they love these for breakfast.