Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
I have used homemade applesauce or store-bought. My kids love these for breakfast. From TOH-Quick Cooking.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 8 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Evenly spread the applesauce on four slices of bread.
- Top with remaining bread to make 4 sandwiches.
- Spread butter on the outsides of the sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches (I usually do 2 at a time because of my skillet size) in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over hot sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: I quarter each sandwich for my kids; they love these for breakfast.
Really good and super quick to make. This is definitely a great addition to our recipe collection. We made it with multigrain bread and unsweetened applesauce. With the cinnamon sugar, it was a perfect combination. Thanks so much for sharing.
I would rather eat a cup of applesauce, with a side of of buttered toast topped with cinnamon and sugar sprinkle. Not a fabulous recipe if you ask me.
Yumyumyum, these are wonderful. I have been on the look out for school morning breakfasts I can make for my kids - stuff I don't have to be wide awake for, stuff that doesn't take a lot of time, stuff that is healthy, and stuff that is delicious. This is definitely in all those categories, and therefore in my breakfast cookbook! Thank you so much for posting.