Recipe by looneytunesfan
Christmas is coming. Time to start thinking about those cookie swaps.
Top Review by Lalaloula
I know, its not Christmas time anymore, but these cookies sounded so enticing to me that I just had to go and make them! ;) They are very easy and quick to make and taste wonderfully! Their texture is moist and not too dense. The flavour is incredible-spicy and sweet and oh so good! I made half a batch, which gave me 15 nicely sized cookies. I chopped my apple finely and reduced the sugar to less than 1/4 cup, but other than that followed the recipe exactly. Thank you so much for sharing, this gem of a recipe, looneytunesfan! I will surely make this often again and that not only in holiday season.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium granny smith apple, finely chopped
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- 24Preheat oven to 375*. Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg, applesauce, and vanilla until well combined. Beat in flour mixture just until blended. With spoon, stir in apple, raisins, and walnuts if using.
- Drop dough by rounded measuring tablespoons, 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheets. Bake cookies on 2 oven racks 20 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned around edges and set, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking.
- While cookies bake, prepare Lemon Glaze:
- In small bowl, stir confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks. With pastry brush, brush glaze over warm cookies; cool completely.