Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I checked and while I found many bran muffin recipes here, none were quite like this. I like this one not only because it is lower fat, but because it doesn't have as much added sugar, and it relies on the cereal more than the flour to make the batter. The muffins themselves are surprisingly moist and light in texture. I like the light sweetness of these and the crunchy muffin tops. (If you sprinkle a little extra cereal on top, they get an even better crunch, and improved appearance.) I found this recipe at www.mealsmatter.org. Watch these since the recipe stated they should bake in 20 minutes, but I found mine were done after about 15.
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml Raisin Bran cereal
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 78.07 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- Preheat over to 400F; prepare a muffin tin with paper liners or by spraying with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cereal and milk in large bowl; let stand 3 minutes.
- Stir in egg, applesauce, sugar and butter; stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown, and they test done with a toothpick.
I just made these ...omg , they are delish.. i started to make oatmeal muffins and did not have oatmeal, but already had eggs and buttermilk and applesauce in bowl. so i just mixed my flour and bp and salt and raisin bran ceral mixed well and added to my wet mixture...oh i had a banana that needed to be used so threw it in also. bakes about 17 minutes and they were perfect.
Yummy! As raisin Bran has plenty of sugar on it's own, I cut the sugar in half, used half whole wheat, and half white flour. Somehow I forgot to add the butter and it seemed to make no difference, oddly enough except that it made half of the muffin stick to the muffin paper!
I really liked how this one turned out! I did tweak it a little and added more cereal than the recipe called for and also crumbled some on top before baking but otherwise it turned out great and my kids loved them!