Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I checked and while I found many bran muffin recipes here, none were quite like this. I like this one not only because it is lower fat, but because it doesn't have as much added sugar, and it relies on the cereal more than the flour to make the batter. The muffins themselves are surprisingly moist and light in texture. I like the light sweetness of these and the crunchy muffin tops. (If you sprinkle a little extra cereal on top, they get an even better crunch, and improved appearance.) I found this recipe at www.mealsmatter.org. Watch these since the recipe stated they should bake in 20 minutes, but I found mine were done after about 15.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat over to 400F; prepare a muffin tin with paper liners or by spraying with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cereal and milk in large bowl; let stand 3 minutes.
- Stir in egg, applesauce, sugar and butter; stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown, and they test done with a toothpick.
Quick and easy to make, can adjust the ingredients to what you have in the pantry with delicious results. Great for on the go breakfast! Often requested by my husband.
I love these muffins! Instead of using the plain Raisin Bran, I did use Raisin Bran with cranberries. Just to make it a little more fruity, I tossed in a handful of Craisins as well. They turned out beautiful. I got 16 delicious muffins. I will make these often.
I just made these ...omg , they are delish.. i started to make oatmeal muffins and did not have oatmeal, but already had eggs and buttermilk and applesauce in bowl. so i just mixed my flour and bp and salt and raisin bran ceral mixed well and added to my wet mixture...oh i had a banana that needed to be used so threw it in also. bakes about 17 minutes and they were perfect.