Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old recipe that my grandma got off of a VB apple sauce can. She always iced it with plain boiled icing. If you can't find pastry flour, you can mix you own by combining cake flour and all-purpose flour in a ratio somewhere between two parts cake flour to one part all-purpose and one part cake flour to one part all-purpose.
- First sift flour, spices and soda.
- Then cream the shortening, add sugar gradually and eggs well beaten.
- Add flour and spices alternately with the applesauce and beat throughly until smooth.
- Dust raisins and nuts lightly with flour and stir in last.
- Bake in a shallow, well greased pan about an hour in a 325 degree oven.
- Ice with your choice or icing or frosting.