Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old recipe that my grandma got off of a VB apple sauce can. She always iced it with plain boiled icing. If you can't find pastry flour, you can mix you own by combining cake flour and all-purpose flour in a ratio somewhere between two parts cake flour to one part all-purpose and one part cake flour to one part all-purpose.
- 1 cup strained hot applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- First sift flour, spices and soda.
- Then cream the shortening, add sugar gradually and eggs well beaten.
- Add flour and spices alternately with the applesauce and beat throughly until smooth.
- Dust raisins and nuts lightly with flour and stir in last.
- Bake in a shallow, well greased pan about an hour in a 325 degree oven.
- Ice with your choice or icing or frosting.