This is an awesome recipe that my wife just made this morning. The TOPPING is the key to making these extra yummy! Tasty way to get your morning oats!
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg white
Topping (My wife actually doubles this)
- 1⁄4 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Heat oven to 400.
- Line 12 medium muffin tins with paper cups(optional)(spray muffin tin with cooking spray w/o paper cups).
- Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add applesauce, milk, brown sugar, oil and egg white.
- Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- For topping combine remaining ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake 20-22 minutes until deep golden brown.
- Serve Warm.
These were great! I aded about 1/8 c chopped nuts to the topping, I also doubled the topping amount as suggested. I also used the whole egg.
I made these as mini-muffins. A double batch yielded 75 muffins. Baking time was 12-14 minutes. I used one whole egg for a double batch. A little vanilla extract, nutmeg and allspice added to the batter were good additions.
Yummy! And I did double up on the streusel!