Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an awesome recipe that my wife just made this morning. The TOPPING is the key to making these extra yummy! Tasty way to get your morning oats!
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg white
Topping (My wife actually doubles this)
- 1⁄4 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Heat oven to 400.
- Line 12 medium muffin tins with paper cups(optional)(spray muffin tin with cooking spray w/o paper cups).
- Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add applesauce, milk, brown sugar, oil and egg white.
- Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- For topping combine remaining ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake 20-22 minutes until deep golden brown.
- Serve Warm.
These were great! I aded about 1/8 c chopped nuts to the topping, I also doubled the topping amount as suggested. I also used the whole egg.
I made these as mini-muffins. A double batch yielded 75 muffins. Baking time was 12-14 minutes. I used one whole egg for a double batch. A little vanilla extract, nutmeg and allspice added to the batter were good additions.
Yummy! And I did double up on the streusel!