Recipe by Galley Wench
Great for breakfast, snack or a brown-bag lunch. Adjust baking time accordingly if making regular muffins. Original recipe comes from William and Sonoma, however I've made a couple additions. UPDATE: The recipe has been changed to incorporate suggestions from reviwers. UPDATE #2: Also changed the instructions to reflect the previous changes.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
These were great. I used the whole egg option and added the flax seed. I did not add the raisins as I was out of them. I really liked the fact that the recipe uses applesauce and not oil. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 raisins or 3⁄4 craisins
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Struesel Topping:.
- In a small bowl, combine all the struesel ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly.
- Soak the oats in milk for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the applesauce with the egg.
- Mix the oat mixture with the applesauce mixture, and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined.
- Stir in raisins or craisins.
- Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon approximately 1/2 cup of muffin mixture into muffin-top pan.
- Sprinkle streusel on top.
- Bake until golden brown and the top springs back, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing muffin-tops to wire rack to cool.
- Best served fresh from the oven.