Recipe by Slocan cook
A fibrous loaf with the goodness of applesauce and rolled oats with some spicy ginger to enhance the flavour for a good loaf with tea or coffee.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons dry ginger
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a 9" by 5" by 3" loaf pan and a small round souffle dish. Set aside
- Blend flour, b. powder, b. soda and ginger together in a small bowl. Set aside
- In a small bowl beat eggs until light and frothy
- Combine cream, beaten eggs, sugar, oats and applesauce in a large mixing bowl beating with an electric mixer on medium speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Add flour slowly to batter and continue to mix all ingredients together to form a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and souffle dish filling 2/3 full leaving a small amount of space around the top edge to allow cake batter to expand when baking
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing loaf from pan
- Gently loosen loaf around the edges of pan and empty loaves onto a wire rack to cool before storing in a container.