Recipe by Mary Scheffert
This is my own adaptation of a recipe I found on the back of the oat bran box. These are also good with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top before baking, and are especially yummy warmed up in the microwave about 10-15 seconds , with a little margarine!
Top Review by surfin' chef
Good, simple recipe. I made mini muffins with walnuts. I used one less Tbsp of oil and added 2 very ripe bananas to the mix. I also sprinkled with raw sugar and oats as another person suggested...and it gave it a nice little punch. Yummy and moist.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, chilled
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, or grease muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients, including nuts & raisins if using.
- In another bowl, mix together vanilla, oil, eggs & applesauce until well blended.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients & mix until well blended.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes (for oat bran to absorb some of the liquid).
- Spoon mixture into paper-lined muffin cups and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown & toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes; then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.