Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- coarse sugar, for topping
- No need to preheat the oven, just lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch baking pan (not a 9x5).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. By hand, or with a mixer on low speed, beat flour mixture into applesauce mixture. Stir in toasted nuts and pour into prepared pan. Top with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Place pan in a cold oven and turn oven on to 350°F.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top of the loaf is browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.