Recipe by What's Cooking?
A moist, delicious spice cake that also happens to be low in fat and free of gluten and dairy. If you use another GF flour mix make sure it contains adequate amounts of guar gum or xanthan gum to help the cake rise. Kosher: Pareve.
Top Review by ktorichan
This smelled wonderful coming out of the oven and tasted just as good! I used egg replacer instead of one of the eggs and reduced the sugar slightly. Moist and light texture. I got one 9" round and 6 cupcakes, the round taking 25 min. to bake and 20 min. for the cupcakes. This is a recipie to keep and share!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice flour (fine ground)
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl, combining thoroughly.
- Blend wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients slowly while beating with electric beater or large whisk. Beat thoroughly, until smooth.
- Spray 9" round cake pan or 9x13" baking pan with baking spray. (For easier removal of cake from pan, place parchment paper on bottom of pan before spraying). Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake cake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out nearly clean.
- Remove cake from pan and place on cooling rack. Serve while warm.
- Optionally, the cake can be frosted with vanilla frosting or dusted with powdered sugar before serving.