Recipe by waynejohn1234
Have had this in my files for years so do not recall the name of the cookbook. It is rich enough to be considered a cake if you want and one of our favourites, especially around Xmas time. I like it with a little butter and it keeps moist for days.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (or half butter but no margarine)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups mincemeat
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Beat together sugar and shortening very thoroughly.
- Add egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- At low speed beat in mincemeat.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce just until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.