Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A great recipe for something different. The spices in this dish are all very complimenting of each other which leads to a very flavorful and unexpected dish. This comes to me from my grandmother.
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves.
- Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Beat applesauce into batter.
- Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Very flavorful. It didn't rise much but maybe it isn't supposed to. Quite dense. Nice and moist. I found the batter started to get more like dough when adding the flour so I stopped and added the applesauce and then the rest of the flour. It was a little too sweet for us so next time I will only add 3/4 cup sugar. Thanks for posting this recipe.