Recipe by Barb in WNY
Another recipe I've had on hand for years but have never tried, but I didn't find this exact one on Zarr so I'm going to submit it.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
browned butter glaze
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 -4 tablespoons hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together except glaze ingredients.
- If dough is soft, cover and refrigerate (no time given on original).
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until almost no indenture remains when touched, about 10 minutes, immediately remove from cookie sheets; cool.
- Spread with Browned Butter Glaze.
- Browned Butter Glaze:.Heat 1/3 cup margarine over low heat until golden brown; remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons hot water until smooth and of desired consistency.