Quick & easy to make. You can have the batter whipped up in the amount of time it takes for the oil to heat. (I use a Fry Daddy.) We actually like them better after they sit for 5-6 hours rather than warm like most doughnuts I make.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (batter will be extremely thick). In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil.
- Turn with a slotted spoon and fry until golden, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm.