Recipe by PintoPony
Delicious drop cookies with many variations... I, for example, omit the raisins and nuts, so that I can give some to my horses. I believe this is from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book.
Top Review by lmalone
I was getting ready to make these cookies, when I noticed down in the directions, there was a reference to gradually stirring in cold coffee. Was this a mistake or should this have been another ingredient that was left off the list?
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups well-drained thick applesauce
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix shortening, brown sugar, and eggs thoroughly.
- Gradually stir in applesauce. Add flour.
- Mix remaining ingredients. Stir into applesauce mixture.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400ºF (204ºC).
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes, or until lightly crisped.