Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Moist, Soft and spicy
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup thick applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Mix raisins and applesauce, set aside.
- Combine sugar, shortning and egg, beat until fluffy. Stir in applesauce and raisins.
- sift flour with salt, soda and spices, add and mix well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Drop soft dough by spoonfuls about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
Please be aware there is one mistake that should be obvious and one change that I made to this recipe. It states you need a half a cup of salt. That is the obvious mistake. The next amount stated for the salt is the correct one. Also, I used 1/2 a cup more flour than this recipe states. I tried using the amount given and the batter was as runny as cake batter. The cookies ran all over the place in the oven. They came out perfect with the extra flour.