Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from an online friend, and they sound delish, so I thought I'd save them here! Let me know what you think!
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Beat 1-1/3 cups of the flour and remaining ingredients (except oil and cinnamon/sugar mixture)with an electric mixer on low speed, until just blended.
- Stir in remaining flour and beat on medium speed for an additional 2 minutes.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for about 1 hour (dough should be stiff after refrigeration).
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in a fryer or heavy (3 quart) saucepan to 375°F (for perfect doughnuts use a themometer).
- Divide dough in half and roll each half out on a well floured pastry board to 3/8" thick. Cut with a well floured doughnut cutter, or use a 3" cup and a clean pop bottle lid for the center.
- Carefully slide cut doughnuts into hot oil, using a wide spatula. Cook 2 or 3 doughnuts at a time, so as not to lower the tempeture of the oil too much. Fry 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove from the oil (do not prick) and drain on papertowels.
- If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture while still hot.
Awesome all the way around....flavor, heaviness, crispiness, ease... and I even reduced the sugar! Love 'em, and will be making them VERY often.
These were great! I've never used applesauce inside doughnut batter before, but these were easy to make and tasted great! We ate all of them very quickly!