Recipe by Lvs2Cook
Delicious served with cream cheese, plain, or with butter. Wrap and store for 8 hours before slicing.
Top Review by nktx54
I made this with macadamia nuts because that's what I had on hand. This was fabulous. The bread reminded me of what used to be served at Todd's in Houston. I also used unsweetened applesauce and it was plenty sweet.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the walnuts, dates, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Microwave the applesauce in a microswave safe bowl until heated through.
- Add shortening to the applesauce and stir until melted.
- Add applesauce mixture to walnut mixture and mix well.
- Let stand, loosely covered, for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl using a fork.
- Add the vanilla, sugar and flour and mix well.
- The mixture will be very dry.
- ADd the walnut mixture 1.4 at a time, mixing gently after each addition.
- Do not overbeat.
- Spoon into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350º for 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap in foil and store for 8 to 12 hours before slicing.