Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious for breakfast or a snack. from Becel, Heart healthy cooking.
- 2⁄3 cup all-bran cereal (not flakes)
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar (I use brown sugar twin))
- 3 tablespoons becel margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375f degrees.
- Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine bran cereal and applesauce, let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg, dates, brown sugar and margarine.
- In a large bowl, blend flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir cereal mixture into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set and golden.
- Cool on rack.
- This can also be made into a loaf, bake for 45 min to 1 hour
wonderful muffins! I used butter in place of margarine, raisins in place of the dates and increased the sugar amount for my sweet tooth, loved the muffins Derf! this was made for Kittencalskitchen forum Nuttin But Muffin tag event
This is a delcious recipe that is so moist and fillled w/goodness in every way. I love the use of dates instead of raisins. I followed the recipe as written and didn't change a thing. A great find for this time of year. Made for MuffinTag in KK's forum.
What can I say but these were a hit for a get together I went to this morning. I whipped this up in no time at all. Thanks for posting this recipe for us to try.