Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This a wonderfull dense cake. Got the recipe from a magazine about 30 years ago. Kind of reminds me a little of a fruit cake.
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups hot applesauce
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Grease well and flour a 9-by-9-by-2 inch baking pan.
- Into a large bowl of electric mixer, sift flour with baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, salt.
- Then add eggs, sugar, butter, and 1 cup applesauce; at low speed, beat just until ingredients are combined.
- At medium speed, beat 2 minutes longer, occasionally scraping side of bowl and guiding mixture into beater with rubber scraper.
- Add remaining applesauce, dates and walnuts; beat 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Frost with a Cream-Cheese frosting.
So moist, we keep going back for MORE. This is wonderful! I found the recipe in McCall's magazine in the early '60's.It reminds me so much of Spanish Bar Cake that A&P Food store sold for years. I'm so happy to see it posted. Thank you, Kendra
Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My mother made this cake for years and even added cut up apples to the applesauce and would cook the two together. She got it from a magazine in the sixties. I had her old recipe card but part of the ingredients list was smudged. I made it in memory of mom at Christmas and my husband's family raved!! Thanks again!
This makes a pretty large cake and it tastes amazing, it's very moist and dense and looks like fruitcake. Everyone came back for more when they tasted this today and I'll still have some leftover for their lunchboxes tomorrow. I'll be making this cake again and again. A really excellent recipe.