Recipe by SandraJ
This a wonderfull dense cake. Got the recipe from a magazine about 30 years ago. Kind of reminds me a little of a fruit cake.
Top Review by Kendra Jean's Kitchen
So moist, we keep going back for MORE. This is wonderful! I found the recipe in McCall's magazine in the early '60's.It reminds me so much of Spanish Bar Cake that A&P Food store sold for years. I'm so happy to see it posted. Thank you, Kendra
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups hot applesauce
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Grease well and flour a 9-by-9-by-2 inch baking pan.
- Into a large bowl of electric mixer, sift flour with baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, salt.
- Then add eggs, sugar, butter, and 1 cup applesauce; at low speed, beat just until ingredients are combined.
- At medium speed, beat 2 minutes longer, occasionally scraping side of bowl and guiding mixture into beater with rubber scraper.
- Add remaining applesauce, dates and walnuts; beat 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Frost with a Cream-Cheese frosting.