Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another no-bowl cake recipe. Found this one on a MasterCook recipe e-list back in 1998. Haven't tried it yet but hope to soon. Update: I have tried this now and used half all-purpose half whole wheat flour and no nuts. It worked very well. Not a high rising cake but it was nice and moist when we had this for breakfast the next morning. Took 25 minutes in a 9 inch pan.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml clove
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 295.73 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 78.07 ml oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 118.29 ml chopped nuts (optional)
- In 8 or 9-inch square pan, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cloves and nutmeg; blend well.
- Stir in apple sauce, oil and vanilla; mix well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Use a rubber spatula to scrape any ingredients clinging to sides, corners or bottom of pan into the batter and even the batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 9 servings.
A good recipe that will prove to be flexible I believe. The second time I made it I used currants, which were not quite as sweet and helped the cake pair perfectly with a cup of coffee. I may try making this into a chocolate cake too, adding a couple T. of cocoa instead of cinnamon and raisins. It seemed to take a little longer to cook than projected, but it stayed very moist in spite of my fear of it overcooking in some areas (you wouldn't want to under-cook this one or it would be too dense and gooey).
Quick and easy. Easier to mix in a real bowl though. I added an egg. I also used currants, but raisins or dried cranberries would be good. Love the spice in it.
This is a great recipe to have in your bag of tricks. A quick, easy and tasty dish that uses ingredients that you'd have around the house anyway. Perfect for when friends drop in for a visit, your suddenly obliged to make something, or you got the munchies.