Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Goooood Cookie! Haven't personally tried this recipe, it was posted by request.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup canned applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Sift together flour, salt and spices.
- Set aside.
- Combine applesauce and soda.
- Set aside.
- Mix shortening with sugar and egg until light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour mixture alternately with applesauce.
- Fold in oats and raisins and nuts if used.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
I tried this recipe yesterday. I didn't agree with the cooking time. No way near 20 minutes @ 350! For teaspoonful size cookie max was 10 minutes -- and this made a very small cookie. I use cookie dough scoops and the tsp size made just a small "pop in the mouth" size cookie. For the 2nd batch I used a Tblsp size scoop and increase time to 11 minutes. This gave much more flavorful cookie and a decent size. You need a larger cookie to really taste the ingredients. It's not a sweet tasting cookie but still a nice flavored applesauce cookie. I used craisins instead of raisins.
I have this same recipe, only mine called for whole wheat flour and homemade applesauce. This one sounds better with all purpose flour, but either way pretty good.