Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious quick and easy apple pie bar. You can experiment with different varieties of cookie dough, oatmeal for example as well as the applesauce filling could be substituted with apricot or peach. I use an 11 x 7 inch pan not the usual dimensions but it's one of my favourites and cost a whopping $1.00 at the neighbourhood dollar store!
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar, I use Sugar in the Raw crystals
- 500 g refrigerated sugar cookie dough, cut in half
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, I use 2 200ml applesauce fruit cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Spray an 11 x 7 baking pan (preferably shiny).
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar, set aside.
- On a lightly floured board roll out one half of the dough to cover the bottom and slightly up the sides of the baking pan.
- Spread the applesauce evenly over this dough layer.
- Coarsely grate the remaining half of the dough over the applesauce filling.
- Sprinkle with the spice/sugar mixture.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes until evenly browned and top is crisp.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.