Recipe by Summer Breeze
These cookies satisfy my Diabetic husband's sweet tooth and my chocaholic cravings. The applesauce helps to make them moist.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made these cookies this evening - baked them at 200C for 15 minutes in my oven. Tastewise, I feel they need more sugar in order to be sweeter. I used white sugar instead of a substitute(1/3 cup) but I'll use 2-3 tbsps. more next time. Also, I did use sweetened applesauce(homemade) and not unsweetened but still, I feel more sugar was required. Also, I did use a little over 1/2 cup of melted margarine(for vegetable shortening). I used all-purpose flour instead of cake flour(am not sure what "cake flour" really means). What I was drooling over all through while mixing the ingredients together, was, the appearance of the final mixture(i.e. before dropping it by tbsps. to bake). Oh, that is worth a 100 stars! Really tempting;)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, softened
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar substitute
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the shortening and sugar replacement.
- Add egg and blend well.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and add alternately with applesauce and water to the creamed mixture.
- Be sure to add flour first and last.
- Drop by teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.