Recipe by MissyMT
Yummy moist breakfast rolls
Top Review by Baking*Belle
I hate to be the first to post a bad review, but this really didn't work out. They tasted like buttermilk biscuits smeared with applesauce, and they were very tough. The icing needed way more buttermilk, as it was like a dough when I used only one tablespoon. My brother said they were so-so, my dad liked them (hence the 2 stars), and my mom also thought they were so-so, but we all agreed it needed more yeast. They had a pretty good taste, but were definitely not "yummy, moist breakfast rolls", or at least not when I tried them. The directions were a bit complex, so maybe I'm missing something? Let me know!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 7 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dry ingredients together.
- Heat milk, butter, 2 Tbsp sugar, salt,and 3/4 cup applesauce and add to dry mixture along with the egg.
- Knead dough for 3-5 minutes (add extra flour as needed) then cover for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and roll out to 12 inch square.
- Spread 1/4 cup applesauce, 1/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon on dough.
- Roll up and cut into 12 even slices.
- Cover and let double.
- Bake in 2 8x8 pans for 20-25 minutes at 375°F.
- Make icing (combine all ingredients and mix).