Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Moist, luscious, good-for-you treat! A good after school snacks, picnics, tailgate parties, potluck suppers, or even a brunch.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups kellog smart start cereal or 2 cups just right cereal
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BARS: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour (or spray with Bakers Joy) a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and spices.
- In mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add applesauce and egg and blend well.
- Mix in dry ingredients from small bowl.
- Stir in cereal and spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Glaze, and let cake cool.
- Cut into bars.
- GLAZE: In small bowl, add glaze ingredients and microwave on medium power to melt butter and sugar.
- Pour warm glaze over cake.
- VARIATION: Substitute 1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained, for the applesauce.
These bars are flavorful and delicious! You can really taste the spices. They turned out much cakier than I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised! I used Smart Start cereal, and the flakes added a nice chewy texture to the bars. Plus the glaze made them nice and sweet! Thanks, BeachGirl, I'll definitely be making these again!