Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
Originally this cake was made in a 9" spring form pan, but now that I have a 7" spring form pan I want to make it so I thought I'd half the recipe. Its an excellent carrot cake..probably the best I've ever tasted. It goes great with either Vanilla or Lemon Cream Cheese Icing.
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup soft silken tofu (or 2 egg replacer equivalent)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and spray a 7" spring form pan with oil.
- In a large sauce pan, simmer the raisins and ground carrots in the water over medium heat for about 7-10 minutes. Remove and put into a large bowl.
- Add the oil, tofu, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt and stir well.
- Add the flour, baking soda and nuts if using. Stir the mixture into the carrot blend.
- Pour into your cake pan and cook for 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the sides and cool further on a metal rack.
- Ice and enjoy!
- Bon Appetit!