Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from the newspaper, but the person who sent it in said it was from a Seneca applesauce jar. It's very good, and the applesauce in the icing makes a tasty variation.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add applesauce and margarine.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl and beaters occasionally.
- Add eggs and beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and nuts, blending well.
- Pour into a 9-inch square baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool.
- To make frosting, beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Add applesauce and beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cake.
For some reason this turned out really heavy and dense. Not a repeater. I gave it two stars because it is very moist.