Recipe by BurtonFanatic
Applesauce makes this cake healthier than your regular cake. Calories: 145 Fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 21 g Protein: 4 g
- 2 cups whole grain wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups carrots, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the applesauce, oil and eggs. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until the ingredients are well blended. Add the carrots and mix again.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9" tube pan, or use a 9" x 13" rectangular cake pan, or two bread loaf pans, or a cupcake pan.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 350° F oven for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. Set the cake on a wire rack for five minutes. Then, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake, and turn the cake out onto the rack to cool.