Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Very tasty, spicey cake. Good for thanksgiving or any special dinner.
Make and share this Applesauce Caramel Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add egg beat well.
- Stir flour salt soda and spices together.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with the apple sauce.
- Add raisins and nuts.
- Bake in 8 inch square cake pan, (greased) at 350 for approximately 25 minutes until it tests done.
- Frosting: Combine sugars, corn syrup, and water in sauce pan.
- Cook and stir till it reaches the soft ball stage on candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and pour over butter, which has been placed in bowl.
- Beat till smooth and add vanilla.
- Pour over cake while still warm.