Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very tasty, spicey cake. Good for thanksgiving or any special dinner.
Make and share this Applesauce Caramel Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add egg beat well.
- Stir flour salt soda and spices together.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with the apple sauce.
- Add raisins and nuts.
- Bake in 8 inch square cake pan, (greased) at 350 for approximately 25 minutes until it tests done.
- Frosting: Combine sugars, corn syrup, and water in sauce pan.
- Cook and stir till it reaches the soft ball stage on candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and pour over butter, which has been placed in bowl.
- Beat till smooth and add vanilla.
- Pour over cake while still warm.
Another 5 stars for you on this one. I made this on Saturday afternoon and it was gone by late Saturday night. This was delicious. Although the frosting was wonderful, I could eat this cake by itself without the frosting. Very good. It took an hour to get done in my oven which is electric and cooks pretty slow. Thank you, Angelfan.