Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I was looking through an old Fannie Farmer Cookbook, and came across this recipe.The original recipe made a 2-layer cake, but I cut it down to just make a smaller snack size type of cake.I put 25 minutes as the baking time,but you might want to check after 20.After mixing frosting ingredients, you might want to add a bit more powdered sugar to get the desired thickness. Sumitted to "ZAAR" on October 8th, 2008.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1⁄8 cup margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour either an 8x 8 inch dish or a 2 quart rectangular baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together flour,salt,baking powder,cinnamon, and nutmeg, set aside.
- Im a medium sized bowl,cream together margarine,or shortening and sugar beating well.
- Add applesauce and egg mixing thoroughly.
- Pour egg/applesauce mixture into dry ingredients, beat until just mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan,and bake for 25 minute or until tooth pick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Before frosting cake let cool to room temperature.
- To Prepare Frosting,.
- Combine all frosting into a medium sized bowl, and with electric mixer beat until smooth.
- Spread over top of cake and enjoy :).