Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 beaten eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 16 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8-inch layer cake pans.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Beat eggs, mayonnaise, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in dry ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- Fill and frost layers with Cinnamon Icing.
- Cinnamon Icing: Beat cream cheese and melted butter until fluffy.
- Slowly stir in 1 pound powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and spreadable.