1/1 Photo of Applesauce Cake With Caramel Frosting
1 hr 20 mins
I love applesauce cake, and this one is a little different applesauce cake as this has some cocoa in it. From a 1950s Sunbeam Mixmaster book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup soft shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins, cut up
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2Set oven to 350 to preheat.
- 3Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- 4Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda and baking powder.
- 5Add fruit and nuts and toss to coat.
- 6In large bowl cream shortening and sugar for 2 minutes, then add eggs, one at a time while beating 2 minutes.
- 7Add flour mixture alternately with applesauce while beating.
- 8Scrape bowl as necessary, beat only until blended.
- 9Turn into pan and bake for 50 minutes or until done.
- 10Cool and frost with Caramel Frosting.
- 12Melt butter in saucepan, stir in brown sugar.
- 13Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
- 14Add milk, continue stirring until boiling.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16Cool to lukewarm and pour into small bowl.
- 17Add sugar and vanilla while beating.
- 18Beat about 2 minutes until spreading consistency.
- 19Adjust consistency with a few drops of hot water or more sugar as needed.
- 20Spread at once on cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Applesauce Cake With Caramel Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.3
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 67.5 mg
- Sodium 396.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 83.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g