Recipe by pines506
I love applesauce cake, and this one is a little different applesauce cake as this has some cocoa in it. From a 1950s Sunbeam Mixmaster book.
Top Review by Nellie S.
ok had a few substitutions...Margarine for Crisco (richer flavor), Dates for raisins (it's what I had), and Apple Pie spice because I was out of Nutmeg. I made it like a round layer cake and was in a hurry so I just drizzled the warm icing over the still warm cake! YUM!! Will deffinately make this again!!
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup soft shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins, cut up
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar (a little more or less as needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 to preheat.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add fruit and nuts and toss to coat.
- In large bowl cream shortening and sugar for 2 minutes, then add eggs, one at a time while beating 2 minutes.
- Add flour mixture alternately with applesauce while beating.
- Scrape bowl as necessary, beat only until blended.
- Turn into pan and bake for 50 minutes or until done.
- Cool and frost with Caramel Frosting.
- Melt butter in saucepan, stir in brown sugar.
- Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, continue stirring until boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to lukewarm and pour into small bowl.
- Add sugar and vanilla while beating.
- Beat about 2 minutes until spreading consistency.
- Adjust consistency with a few drops of hot water or more sugar as needed.
- Spread at once on cake.